Are you worried that your nails might not be healthy anymore because of how frequent you have manicures done? How will you know if you are doing proper nail care? If these are your concerns, then you have come to the right place. Here are tips on how you can keep your nails healthy, even though you apply Esmalteuñassemipermanente products.
Signs of Healthy Nails
Upon checking your nails, the nail plates should be pinkish-white in color. The cuticles should be there and do not cut them, just push them back. They are there for a reason. Your nails and its white tips should be even in length. At the nail base, you should see a lunula or the half-moon shaped white section.
Signs Of Unhealthy Nails
Now that you know the signs of healthy nails, and you don’t see them on your nails, then you should check maybe you have unhealthy ones. Now, how can you tell if your nails are unhealthy? Here’s how:
- Horizontal Grooves. This can be a result of stress, from accidentally jamming your finger, or from a high fever.
- Peeling or Splitting. If there are peeling or your nails are splitting is one symptom. This could be a sign of dryness or a result of nutrient deficiency.
- Spoon-Shaped Nails. Check the shape of your nails. If they are spoon-shaped, it can be a sign of anemia or iron deficiency.
- Red or Swollen Skin. If the skin around your nails is red or swollen, that can be a result of you biting off or removing your cuticles.
- White Spots. If there are tiny white spots, this means that you are biting your nails or you are painting them often.
Keeping Your Nails Healthy
According to dermatologists, proper nail care is a must. If you are concerned about the health of your nail, then you should see a dermatologist. In the meantime, here’s what you can do to bring the life back to your poor nails.
- Clean Hands. Cleaning your hands does not only mean that you wash them with soap and water. It is very important that you make sure that the skin around your nails is dirt-free. You have to remove all traces of your last nail polish using an acetone-free remover. To exfoliate the dead skin without being too harsh or use harmful chemicals, you can apply soap to your toothbrush and gently rub it onto your nails and skin.
- Be Gentle. You have to remember that your nails are delicate. If you are scrubbing them too roughly, it can expose you to infection. When cleaning your nails, never use a metal tool to clean under them. Too much diffing can cause the nail plate to separate from your skin. This condition is called onycholysis.
- Clip Regularly. Regular clipping of your nails is as important as trimming your hair. So take the time to clip them every two weeks. You can adjust to more or even less if you know how your nails respond.
Your nails can say so much about their health. This is why you have to be observant. Remember that the exposed part of your nails is already dead. This is why you cannot feel any pain when you clip them. But without proper care, you will also not be able to realize that they are turning unhealthy.